Tuesday, June 20, 2006

GARRITY GOES GA-GA FOR CREAMY SPREAD
A COMPUTER LAB REVELATION IN CHOCOLATE

VIDEOGRAPHY PROFESSOR Dan Garrity experienced one of life's biggest thrills this weekend when his tongue hit Nutella for the very first time.

The thick chocolate and hazelnut spread, produced in Italy by Alba-based Ferraro SpA, is a favorite of young and old alike around the world. Yet, to Garrity, Nutella remained an unknown, a foodstuff shrouded in mystery.

It was student Anna Youngquist who opened Garrity's tastebuds to the chocolate perfection known as Nutella after she noticed him "eyeing it" in the computer lab.

"He asked me 'Can I try some?'" Youngquist explained. "'Why certainly,' I told him. 'You are grading me, aren't you?'"

According to Youngquist, Garrity took a lick of Nutella and exclaimed "Tastes just like chocolate!"

But how is it that noted world-traveler Garrity, no spring chicken, could go this long without exposing himself to the creamy spread?

"Something of that consistancy just couldn't last in Phoenix," he laughed, referring to the sprawling Arizonan city where a younger Garrity spent his formative years.

"Would I try it again?" he pondered. "Ooooooooooooh yeah."

In fact, Garrity already has plans to try Nutella in combination with other foods that some might find questionable, to say the least.

"I'd like to try Nutella with a salty fish," Garrity told me, slicing a thin strip of veal as he dined Monday night. "It hasn't been done before. And say what you will about me-- but I'm a trailblazer. I give it six months before salty fish and Nutella is the appetizer of choice at Caffe' Commercio."